Thursday, September 27, 2007

building Cinelerra on FC6 64-bit

Update 10/26/2007:
These instructions work well for F7 (Fedora 7), 64-bit, too!


Update 10/29/2008:
These instructions still kick ass..a year later when I blew up my system!


Update 11/20/2008:
I've rebuilt my Fedora 7 system as Fedora 9. The Cinelerra build instructions are different than the Fedora 7 instructions in that they use ATrpms repository. But all-in-all, the install went well!

I just purchased a Dell SC1430 dual Xeon, quad-core server to replace my aging Dell SC400 tower. I will give a full review of that server in a later post. More immediately however, I thought I'd give the 64-bit Fedora Core 6 installation a whirl, as these Xeons support 64-bit. I figured that Cinelerra should fly with 64-bit install! Also, to ease my pain, I figured I'd stay with FC6, as I'm well familiar with this distribution. Eventually, I'll build out a 64-bit Debian Lenny distro to see how that performs (thanks for the suggestion, Graham)!

Here's How Things Went
The Fedora install is the same installer you get with the 32-bit version and went very smoothly.

I then proceeded to install the dependencies for building Cinelerra from source. In a nutshell, the yum installation was very similar to my 32-bit FC6 install which I described here, with some minor differences:
/2007/03/fedora-core-6-cinelerra-dependencies.html

The quick steps are:
1) have the proper yum repositories online (all Fedora, Livna and Dries)
2) make sure you have your GPG-KEYs loaded from Livna and Dries
3) remove the dries repositories (with the --disablerepo=dries switch shown) and install using the script below with only Fedora and Livna online:
4) remove the Livna repositories, enable FreshRPMs and install mjpegtools using the command:
yum --disablerepo=livna install mjpegtools*
5) get Cinelerra source code (refer to previous post on those details)
6) build from source (refer to previous post on those details)
7) install your favorite multimedia applications

The only differences between the 32-bit install and the 64-bit install that I noticed were that I had to specify the install of fftw specifically on 64-bit:
1) fftw (instead of fftw3)
2) fftw-devel

I've amended the script below to reflect those differences. Another interesting note is that with FC6 and above, no SMP-specific kernel is necessary. This is good! Finally, I installed my favorite multimedia apps:
yum install avidemux mencoder mplayer transcode vlc* xmms

However, to avoid this error, you should install xine separately without Livna repos online:
yum --disablerepo=livna install xine

I haven't gotten to really test out Cinelerra's capabilities on 64-bit, but I did render out a 40 minute Cinelerra project with full 720P HDV in a little over an hour. I rendered using QT container, MPEG-4 video compression with a constant bit rate of 10,000,000 and twos complement audio. This *almost* achieves what Heroine Warrior states about being able to achieve real-time rendering with HDV. Obviously, I believe some performance tweaks are in order and will need to work through these issues.

Here is that yum script which should get you going on 64-bit Fedora Core 6:

The Cinelerra FC6 64-bit Source Dependencies Install Script
yum install --disablerepo=dries \
libquicktime \
ffmpeg \
gsm-devel \
xvidcore* \
lame \
lame-devel \
libvorbis* \
libogg* \
libtool* \
a52* \
libtheora* \
libpng* \
libjpeg* \
libtiff* \
esound* \
audiofile* \
libraw1394* \
libavc1394* \
freetype* \
fontconfig* \
nasm \
e2fsprogs* \
faad2-dev* \
OpenEXR* \
fftw \
fftw-devel \
libsndfile* \
libiec61883* \
x264 \
x264-d* \
faac* \
libdv*


Don't forget to chmod a+x the file!

cheers,
the mule

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to say thanks for your HOWTO posts. They are really helpful.

... david

Cacasodo said...

David,
I'm happy you appreciate them.

Cin on FC6 was very stable for me, outside of the occasional crash and one or two minor bugs. At least I have a workflow (which I've described in a number of posts) that has effectively solved the problem of getting usable output out of Cinelerra.

I think Cinelerra has got a lot going for it. If I can help people muddle through so that they at least give Cinelerra a try, the better the software will get.

the mule