Saturday, October 04, 2008

iTunes/iPod video workflow, scripted

I am going to revisit my conversation about workflow. Here's what we briefly discussed:
- the transformation of an idea (video) into reality and distributing it (in this case, using iTunes)

With today's internet, the steps involved are broad-based:
- idea creation, storyboard, distribution, production, archiving, marketing

Update 2008/11/22
I've added a few more details to my workflow in a new post here.
end update

I shall give you an example and how I reduced the amount of time spent creating and distributing my content.

When not working, my world is playing music with a band of itinerant musicians called the StormPigs. We gather together once every couple of months to play freeform music. No prior thought involved, just play. The joy of this is being together and having a good time. Otherwise, we are all busy professionals with full-time jobs and families. In remembrance of that good time, I produce videos of the event, distributed via iTunes and YouTube.

As time seems compressed these days, I want to spend as little time as possible behind the keyboard (though I am a technologist by trade). And as readers of this blog know, I am avid proponent of Linux. The beauty of Linux is that the system is completely configurable and flexible. But with this power comes a price. You have to invest the time to learn the shell, some bits of scripting and other Linux arcana. Consequently, it is daunting to the newcomer. But the benefits return to you many times over, as time you once spent on minutiae can now be spent thinking of new ideas for shows and creating new content, rather than simply focusing on the details of getting a file up to the server or copy and pasting content from one application to the other.

I am not a programmer of fanciful GUI front ends. I am a guy who just needs to get work done. So I try to solve my problems in the simplest way possible using the Linux programs and bash shell scripts to tie multiple programs together.

Here is the latest problem I needed to solve:
- how to I get my videos onto the web and in an iTunes ready form as quickly as possible?

In that light, I have come up with some scripts to help me on my way:
- the first encodes my editing video project into various formats (HDV, DVD, podcast)
- the second creates the list of songs from the video that will go into the podcast
- the third merges that songlist information into the podcast
- the fourth creates a new iTunes RSS feed (XML file) from the songlist information
- the fifth uploads the new podcast to my webserver
- the last is a wrapper that starts the other five

The encoding script is most useful and is the basis for the others. This script takes 720P video and 48Khz MPEG, Layer II stereo audio output rendered from a Cinelerra project and converts it to various formats: MPEG2 Program Stream, HDV, DVD and iTunes/iPod compatible formats. You will need the following programs installed for this script to work:
-mplex
-vlc
-ffmpeg

I've found the quality of each output file to be very good to excellent.

You can wrap some validation and input around this script, but the guts of the script look like this, where the arguments enclosed in curly braces will be replaced by the names of your input and output files:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Input: M2A audio and MPEG2 720P video streams"

echo "Output: program stream"
mplex -f 3 -b 2000 ${AUDIO} ${VIDEO} -o ${PS}

echo "Input: program stream"
echo "Output: MPEG2-TS, HDV"
vlc ${PS} --sout '#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="'${HDV}'"}}' vlc:quit


echo "Input: MPEG2-TS, HDV"
echo "Output: MPEG2 DVD"
ffmpeg -i ${HDV} -target dvd -threads 8 ${DVD}

echo "Input: MPEG2 DVD"
echo "Output: iTunes/iPod compatible MP4"
ffmpeg -y -i ${DVD} -an -v 1 -threads 8 -vcodec h264 -b 250k -bt 175k -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -partp8x8 1 -me full -subq 1 -me_range 21 -chroma 1 -slice 2 -bf 0 -level 30 -g 300 -keyint_min 30 -sc_threshold 40 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.7 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -maxrate 450k -bufsize 2M -cmp 1 -s 720x480 -f mp4 -pass 1 /dev/null

ffmpeg -y -i ${DVD} -v 1 -threads 8 -vcodec h264 -b 250k -bt 175k -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -partp8x8 1 -me full -subq 6 -me_range 21 -chroma 1 -slice 2 -bf 0 -level 30 -g 300 -keyint_min 30 -sc_threshold 40 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.7 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -maxrate 450k -bufsize 2M -cmp 1 -s 720x480 -acodec aac -ab 160k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -f mp4 -pass 2 -threads 8 ${MP4}


Stay tuned for discussions of the remaining scripts to make your life easier,
CM

No comments: